Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Review:: Between You & Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen by Mary Norris


Attention fellow word nerds! Want a peek into the copy department offices at The New Yorker? Mary Norris shares some great stories and offers advice on how to overcome some of the most common grammatical slip ups in Between You & Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen. This book isn't rigid and full of scolding explanations but rather fun and witty with lots of juicy (to word nerds) "behind the scenes" stories of which writers drove her a little bit crazy with their challenges to language and grammatical rules. You'll also learn who put the hyphen in Moby-Dick, why Norris deems #1 pencils superior to #2 pencils, and why a copy editor is irreplaceable--even in the world of autocorrect and spell-check.
Share:

3 comments

Judy Krueger said...

Sounds fascinating and fun. Now copy editors have to correct auto-correct! Ha Ha.

reeca said...

This sounds perfect for me. I a man always struggling with my commas. Lol. Great review

Rhiannon said...

I think I'm a pretty good proofreader and copy editor but there are definitely things that trip me up like dangling modifiers and split clauses. I guess I should spend more time on some of those tricky things to improve myself in 2019!

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig