Friday, January 4, 2019

Review: The Au Pair by Emma Rous

The Au Pair by Emma Rous (January 8, 2019 / Berkley)



Back Cover:
Seraphine Mayes and her twin brother Danny were born in the middle of summer at their family’s estate on the Norfolk coast. Within hours of their birth, their mother threw herself from the cliffs, the au pair fled, and the village thrilled with whispers of dark cloaks, changelings, and the aloof couple who drew a young nanny into their inner circle.
Now an adult, Seraphine mourns the recent death of her father. While going through his belongings, she uncovers a family photograph that raises dangerous questions. It was taken on the day the twins were born, and in the photo, their mother, surrounded by her husband and her young son, is beautifully dressed, smiling serenely, and holding just one baby.
Who is the child and what really happened that day?
One person knows the truth, if only Seraphine can find her.

My Review:
The blurb on the top of the back cover states: "If V.C. Andrews and Kate Morton had a literary love child, Emma Rous's The Au Pair would be it." That sets me up to think I'm going to get to read some dark, twisted shit...and sadly, this wasn't dark or twisted enough. While I tore through this book in a day and I was impressed that I hadn't figured everything out by page 50 (like almost every other mediocre mystery/thriller that seems to flood the market in recent years), I was still a little let down by the ending. Don't worry...no spoilers here, but I think the author could have twisted the ending to be a little more sinister. I was ready for it! 


Share:

3 comments

Judy Krueger said...

This year I have decided only to read new books by my favorite trusted authors. Exactly because of what you say here!

Carmen said...

Too bad it wasn't complex enough. I thought the premise had potential. You are right about the amount of mediocre mystery/thrillers that have flooded the market riding the Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train wave.

Rhiannon said...

I've pretty much given up on mysteries/thrillers at this point. I'm reading An Anonymous Girl and so far--not impressed.

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig