Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Review: An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen

An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen (1/8/19 from St. Martin's)


Goodreads Summary:
The next novel of psychological suspense and obsession from the authors of the blockbuster bestseller The Wife Between Us
Seeking women ages 18–32 to participate in a study on ethics and morality. Generous compensation. Anonymity guaranteed.

When Jessica Farris signs up for a psychology study conducted by the mysterious Dr. Shields, she thinks all she’ll have to do is answer a few questions, collect her money, and leave. But as the questions grow more and more intense and invasive and the sessions become outings where Jess is told what to wear and how to act, she begins to feel as though Dr. Shields may know what she’s thinking…and what she’s hiding. As Jess’s paranoia grows, it becomes clear that she can no longer trust what in her life is real, and what is one of Dr. Shields’ manipulative experiments. Caught in a web of deceit and jealousy, Jess quickly learns that some obsessions can be deadly.


My Review:
I started 2018 reading (and enjoying!) The Wife Between Us (review here) and one of my first reads of 2019 was another release by co-authors Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen. As a matter of fact, my 2 reviews are exactly 1 year apart. I had high hopes going into this read but was sadly let down. The short chapter layout made me keep a steady pace while I was reading and I definitely wanted to know what would happen next. Then I hit the middle and was thinking that I needed more information. Not in a "I can't wait for the next clue" sort of way, but in the "everything is happening in a circle and the storyline isn't progressing" way--I couldn't figure out where the story was. In any other case I would have simply moved on to another book, but I knew these authors could give some good twists so I kept reading. Unfortunately, the upcoming "twists" just weren't enough for me to deem this a great mystery/thriller. 

I've seen tons of rave reviews for this release all over Instagram and blogs so I know that I am in the minority by not liking this one. I have no problem with disagreeing with the masses, but I'm always honest with my reviews. However, I have really started to wonder about how many people truly enjoyed this title or are they simply saying they liked it because everyone else says that they do? 

Maybe I'm totally jaded with the entire genre but I don't even remember the last awesome, jaw-dropping, intense mystery/thriller I've read. Are the ones being released just so mediocre because the publishing industry is sacrificing quality for quantity in hopes of getting the next big one? I'm tired of the same formulas female unreliable narrator trope. I want something shocking and different...is that too much to ask?

Share:

4 comments

Carmen said...

No, it's not too much to ask wanting a break from the same tiring writing formula. I used to read lots of mystery/thrillers/murder mysteries but I became exhausted with the twisted people that inhabited those novels. Deep down, despite all the shock and awe, they are not that different from each other, so I have put the genre aside even ignoring big wave makers such as Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. If you want something smarter, deeply layered and different you should try The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian. It's one of my all time favorite books and it will really pull the rug under your feet. Try it if you haven't read it already.

Carmen said...

The Bone House by Brian Freeman is another good one.

reeca said...

You have some fabulous points. I enjoyed the read. But I understand everything you said!! You go girl!!

Rhiannon said...

I am going to check out your recommendations Carmen.
Reeca, I love that we all get something different from each book. I'm sure there are plenty that I rave about that other readers might just roll their eyes over.

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig