Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Circe by Madeline Miller



“I was a golden witch, who had no past at all.”⁠


The #circereadalong pushed me to finally read Circe by Madeline Miller. I resisted for so long because if a book is super hyped and EVERYBODY raves about it, I usually don’t like it. I can see why this retelling from the point of view of Circe, a minor character in The Odyssey, is so widely loved. Miller transforms the hyper masculine Ancient Greek epic poem into a story that gives power to a woman…and not just any woman, but a witch. Almost every paper I wrote in college was written with a feminist lens, including my papers for my Greek and Roman mythology classes. I’ve already studied and spent countless hours giving power to female minor characters in a variety of classic works, so while this was captivatingly written and perfectly paced, it wasn’t as unique and revelatory of an experience to me as it may have been to other readers.⁠

Also featured:⁠
quarantine hair 👎and gold face filter👍⁠
🤷‍♀️⁠
Share:

No comments

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig