Monday, February 4, 2019

Review: Selected Poems of Carl Sandburg


Growing up in towns surrounding Galesburg, Illinois I was aware of Carl Sandburg but I never studied his work. The mall, colleges, roads, and landmarks were named in his honor but in my mind he was simply another old white man writer who I just couldn't relate to. A couple of years ago I happened across his poem "Mag" and loved its shocking honesty so I ordered a selection of his poems. Reading these selected poems alongside doing some of my own research into his life and achievements gave me a greater appreciation of my hometown's literary hero. Many of his poems feature the prairies, trains, and poverty I still associate with the area and his Chicago poems contain the bleak and hopeful juxtaposition of a booming city. I marked several of my favorites but I think "Mag" might still be my favorite. I also liked (click on each title to read the poem on Carl-Sandburg.com) Mill-Doors, The Shovel Man, Onion Days, Population Drifts, To a Contemporary Bunkshooter, Buttons, Under, Between Two Hills, Young Sea, Bones, Poppies, Poems Done on a Late Night Car, Trafficker, Soiled Dove, and Government

"Mag"
I wish to God I never saw you, Mag. 
I wish you never quit your job and came along with me. 
I wish we never bought a license and a white dress 
For you to get married in the day we ran off to a minister 
And told him we would love each other and take care of each other 
Always and always long as the sun and the rain lasts anywhere. 
Yes, I'm wishing now you lived somewhere away from here 
And I was a bum on the bumpers a thousand miles away dead broke. 
     I wish the kids had never come  
     And rent and coal and clothes to pay for 
     And a grocery man calling for cash, 
     Every day cash for beans and prunes. 
     I wish to God I never saw you, Mag. 
     I wish to God the kids had never come.
Share:

1 comment

Judy Krueger said...

Wow! I had never read that one. As my grandmother-in-law would have said, Say what you mean.

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig