Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Review:: Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg


Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg (October 27, 2015 / Dey Street Books)

Goodreads Summary:
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg never asked for fame she was just trying to make the world a little better and a little freer. But along the way, the feminist pioneer's searing dissents and steely strength have inspired millions. Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, created by the young lawyer who began the Internet sensation and an award-winning journalist, takes you behind the myth for an intimate, irreverent look at the justice's life and work. As America struggles with the unfinished business of gender equality and civil rights, Ginsburg stays fierce. And if you don't know, now you know.

My Review:

Yay and nay. 
I found the book extremely informative about almost every aspect of Ruth Bader Ginsburg's life, but I have serious problems with this books presentation and format, so I feel that I need to divide my review. 

On RBG:
In a society that praises youth and minimal intelligence, Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a beacon of light, both in her judicial outlook and in her personal accomplishments. She struggled and fought her way to the top because she never believed she was less smart or qualified than a man. She learned to sharpen her arguments, points, and dissents with phrases and facts that slice right through the layers of sexism and racism. I personally don't agree with all of Ginsburg's decisions, most importantly her decision to not retire under the Obama administration. However, I respect her decision because no one has forced previous male judges of her age to retire and no one could have predicted the most recent presidential election. 

On "Notorious RBG"
I liked how the authors were able to find parallels between Christopher Wallace/Biggie Smalls/The Notorious B.I.G., and those could have been presented as a section or chapter, but this cover image/title/meme and the use of The Notorious B.I.G. lyrics is blatant cultural appropriation. I understand that the intended point of the juxtaposition is to mash up what would be viewed as two opposites: a young, Black, male rapper and an old, white, female judge to get a tongue in cheek laugh, but beyond the play on the  names (one self-given, one bestowed), what do people see? Do they know that the RBG illustration is a play on photographer Barron Claiborne's "King of New York" photo, taken of Biggie Smalls wearing a crooked gold crown just 3 days before he was fatally shot? If they are aware of this photo, do they realize the hypocrisy of applying it an image of Ruth Bader Ginsburg and then praising her for her legally tough demeanor while demonizing the tough decisions made by those who are structurally impoverished? When they buy a product with this image, what exactly are they embracing? What are your thoughts? 

Share:

1 comment

Judy Krueger said...

Your questions are thought provoking. As far as I know, RBG did not have a problem with what they did. I think I saw an interview with her about it. But I don't know enough behind the production of the book to form an opinion. I do admire her immensely.

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig