Saturday, December 15, 2018

Review: Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid



"Hello, Hollywood...I'd like to play Daisy Jones."

"No, I don't have any acting experience, but since I was named after one of the biggest hit singles from one of the highest-selling rock bands of all time I think I'm totally qualified."

"Hello...?"


I was OBSESSED with Taylor Jenkins Reid's "The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo" last year and was anxiously awaiting her new release, Daisy Jones & the Six (releasing March 5, 2019 / Ballantine #partner) When I read the summary I was even more head over heels. A legendary rock band splits at the height of their popularity and no one knew why...until now. The book is styled as a series of interviews and the pacing is absolute perfection (longer sections of dialogue and descriptions from the main band members mixed with quick snippets from friends and acquaintances in the band's outer circle). I loved every page and knew this would be another book by Reid that I would be telling everyone about but I had no idea that I was going to get an ending like that--I've never had chills upon chills upon chills like I did reading the final pages of Daisy Jones & the Six.

Goodreads Summary:
Daisy is a girl coming of age in L.A. in the late sixties, sneaking into clubs on the Sunset Strip, sleeping with rock stars, and dreaming of singing at the Whisky a Go Go. The sex and drugs are thrilling, but it’s the rock and roll she loves most. By the time she’s twenty, her voice is getting noticed, and she has the kind of heedless beauty that makes people do crazy things. Also getting noticed is The Six, a band led by the brooding Billy Dunne. On the eve of their first tour, his girlfriend Camila finds out she’s pregnant, and with the pressure of impending fatherhood and fame, Billy goes a little wild on the road. Daisy and Billy cross paths when a producer realizes that the key to supercharged success is to put the two together. What happens next will become the stuff of legend.

Click a link below to pre-order (seriously, you'll thank me later):
Charis (my favorite independent feminist bookstore)
Amazon


Share:
© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig