Friday, August 19, 2016

Foodie Friday:: What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes by Deborah Madison and Patrick McFarlin


Title: What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes  
Author: Deborah Madison and Patrick McFarlin
Publisher: Gibbs Smith 
Publication Date: May 1, 2009
ISBN: 1423604962
Number of Pages: 256
How I Got It: personal collection
Format: hardback

Goodreads Description:
Renowned vegetarian cookbook auhor Deborah Madison set out to learn what people chew on when there isn't anyone else around. The responses are surprising--and we aren't just talking take-out or leftovers. This is food-gone-wild in its most elemental form.
In a conversational tone, "What We Eat When We Eat Alone" explores the joys and sorrows of eating solo and gives a glimpse into the lives of everyday people and their relationships with food.
The book is illustrated with the delightful art of Patrick McFarlin, and each chapter ends with recipes for those who dine alone.

My Review:
This little collection was fun and cute. I read it in a single evening and enjoyed reading all the different meals the people interviewed enjoyed when they were alone. Some liked the same thing every time and others mixed it up, some ate big meals and some ate very lightly. Some ate dishes that no one else in their family would like and some treated themselves in their family's absence. This book isn't about the ramen dinners many of us ate for numerous meals in our single years, but what we eat when we aren't at home with our family or out with our friends. I personally alternate a bit between meals when I find myself eating alone: I like to make a little feast of shrimp with angel hair pasta (because my husband does not like this dish) and the simple comfort of a grilled cheese sandwich. What do you eat when you eat alone?

Share:

3 comments

Judy Krueger said...

Funny, I am home alone this week because husband is away on business. I definitely eat differently when I am by myself.

Rhiannon said...

What do you like to eat when you eat alone, Judy?

Carmen said...

I munch on anything I can find if I find myself bored, like salty crackers or ice cream.

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig