Thursday, February 13, 2020

Reviews: Upright Women Wanted by Sarah Gailey, Indelicacy by Amina Cain, and The Lost Book of Adana Moreau by Michael Zapata



I have a problem with somehow not reviewing the books I really, really love because I sit and think about them for too long, asking myself how I could ever give them the justice they deserve. This has lead to me not writing reviews for some of my all-time favorites, but I am not going to let that happen with these three novel/novellas—some of the best books I’ve read in ages.


Upright Women Wanted by Sarah Gailey (released 2/4)Pitched as a “pulp Western with an explicitly antifascist, near-future story of queer identity” I thought that this novel sounded interesting, but I was definitely hooked in when I found out that the main characters are “queer librarian spies on horseback trying to do the right thing”. At just 173 pages, I read Upright Women Wanted in a single morning.


Indelicacy by Amina Cain (releasing 2/11)A cleaning woman marries a rich man but does not find peace in her new privilege. She dreams of writing but her new role consumes her time in new ways. This 176-page novella hit me in the same ways as The Resurrection of Joan Ashby. If you know me and my reviews, you know that is almost the highest praise I can possibly give!


The Lost Book of Adana Moreau by Michael Zapata (released 2/4)It took me weeks to read the 266 pages in this book because every sentence, paragraph, and chapter was layered with history and references. The storylines are woven together in such a way that I was totally immersed. I didn’t want it to ever end. I would only let myself read a chapter or two at a time because I knew I’d never get to read this amazing story again for the first time.
Share:

No comments

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig