Thursday, February 13, 2020

Review: In the Land of Men by Adrienne Miller






I’ll keep this one brief because I dislike discussing books I didn’t enjoy, but I want to share the good with the bad when it comes to my book reviews.
In the Land of Men by Adrienne Miller: At 22, Adrienne Miller was hired as an editorial assistant at GQ magazine and at 25 she became the first woman to take on the role of literary editor of Esquire. I wanted to know about her unique struggles while working in the male-dominated literary world of the nineties. While she shares some of those stories, this book is mostly a detailed account of her personal and working relationship with David Foster Wallace. Regarded as a literary rock star at the time, his inappropriate actions seemed to get a pass because of his “brilliance.” Every page and section where he was featured was absolutely cringe-worthy, but Miller appears indifferent or accepting of his behavior. In short, smart girls can be stupid and “geniuses” can be total assholes.
Share:

No comments

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig