Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Off Target


Title: Off Target 
Author: Eve Smith
Publisher: 2.17.22
Release DateOrenda

Publisher’s Summary 
In an all-too-possible near future, when genetic engineering has become the norm for humans, not just crops, parents are prepared to take incalculable risks to ensure that their babies are perfect ... altering genes that may cause illness, and more...

Susan has been trying for a baby for years, and when an impulsive one-night stand makes her dream come true, she'll do anything to keep her daughter and ensure her husband doesn't find out ... including the unthinkable. She believes her secret is safe. For now.

But as governments embark on a perilous genetic arms race and children around the globe start experiencing a host of distressing symptoms – even taking their own lives – something truly horrendous is unleashed. Because those children have only one thing in common, and people are starting to ask questions...


My Review
I love sci-fi, genetics-focused thrillers and had my eye on this one for a bit. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a copy for my Kindle thinking I'd read it sometime in the future, but decided I'd read the first few pages to get the vibe. Well, I read the whole thing straight through. 

I enjoyed it but didn't love it. There was quite a bit of science and medicine woven into the story with the focus intended to be off target effects (unintended genetic mutations.) Unfortunately, it was too heavy on child psychology and relationship drama. The main character's snowball of lies had me rolling my eyes several times and I found it hard to gather sympathy for her moody daughter. 

News bulletins are interspersed between chapters announcing achievements and problems in a near-future worldwide genetics arms race and I found some of these to be more interesting than the story itself. 

I would probably only recommend this to someone who likes medical thrillers. 


Share:

No comments

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig