Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Scorpica

 


Title: Scorpica (The Five Queendoms #1)
Author: G.R. Macallister 
Publisher: Saga
Release Date2.22.22

Publisher’s Summary 
A centuries-long peace is shattered in a matriarchal society when a decade passes without a single girl being born in this sweeping epic fantasy that’s perfect for fans of Robin Hobb and Circe.

Five hundred years of peace between queendoms shatters when girls inexplicably stop being born. As the Drought of Girls stretches across a generation, it sets off a cascade of political and personal consequences across all five queendoms of the known world, throwing long-standing alliances into disarray as each queendom begins to turn on each other—and new threats to each nation rise from within.

Uniting the stories of women from across the queendoms, this propulsive, gripping epic fantasy follows a warrior queen who must rise from childbirth bed to fight for her life and her throne, a healer in hiding desperate to protect the secret of her daughter’s explosive power, a queen whose desperation to retain control leads her to risk using the darkest magic, a near-immortal sorcerer demigod powerful enough to remake the world for her own ends—and the generation of lastborn girls, the ones born just before the Drought, who must bear the hopes and traditions of their nations if the queendoms are to survive.

My Review
This is one of those books that I anxiously anticipated and was so excited to read that I purchased it and then put it aside for the perfect "special" reading time. Devoted readers probably know where I'm going with this. Flash forward a year and I see that the second book in the series is about to release and I had still not read the first one! I started Scorpica and all other books fell to the wayside as I alternately tore through and devoured it and tried to take my time to make it last. I'm actually happy that I waited to read the first book of the series so close to the release of the second because two days after finishing Scorpica I received Arca (book 2) in the mail. I am already obsessed with this series!

Share:

No comments

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig