Saturday, October 8, 2022

8 Mini Reviews

 


I have received copies of these releases from the publisher in exchange for honest reviews 

 8 mini reviews of books I've recently read or DNF'd


⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Chaos Machine by Max Fisher: A "must read" for everyone! So in-depth, with mind-blowing statistics and facts on every page. I'll be buying a physical copy of this.  
Rest is Resistance: A Manifesto by Tricia Hersey: A book (and a movement) encouraging rest and liberation from hustle culture is exactly what I needed to read and you probably do too. 

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Utopia by Heidi Sopinka: This book opens with two parents leaving their baby in a dresser drawer at a gallerist's holiday party and gets that isn't even the most uncomfortable scene. Read if you like 1970s feminist critiques and female artists' unique and universal struggles. 

⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Oracle of Maracoor by Gregory Maguire: This series is killing me. I loved the Wicked series so much and this spin-off was a bit hard to get into with the first book but I anxiously anticipated this second installment. Unfortunately, it was quite a letdown. But I'll still read the next one!
Newsroom Confidential: Lessons (and Worries) from an Ink-Stained Life by Margaret Sullivan: I thought this would be a bit more engaging but as another reviewer stated "this just felt like a long op-ed."

DNF

Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver: I usually love Barbara Kingsolver's works--The Poisonwood Bible, The Bean Trees, Prodigal Summer, and Flight Behavior are some of my all-time favorite books. After about 50 pages or so I knew I was not going to be able to read 500+ more full of this style of writing. 
Little Eve by Catriona Ward: I loved the setting (remote castle in Scotland) and was expecting a bit more of a gothic thrill but this is horror/supernatural and just didn't suit me. 

The Science of Witchcraft: The Truth Behind Sabrina, Maleficent, Glinda, and More of Your Favorite Fictional Witches by Meg Hafdahl and Kelly Florence: You know that I wanted to love this one but every single section was just a bunch of veer-offs and tangents, a totally disjointed presentation of "random facts."


Share:

No comments

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig