Tuesday, January 21, 2020

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood




I caught a rainbow! Doesn’t it look like it should be part of this cover?

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood (1993) was a wild ride through early ‘90s Toronto, where three friends (Roz, Charis, and Tony) see Zenia, a presumed dead “friend” from their pasts while out at their monthly lunch. Much more than a university classmate, this femme fatale turned all three women’s lives upside down by seducing each of their boyfriends and manipulating each woman emotionally and financially. This novel kept me guessing at what’s the truth and had me alternately impressed and horrified by Zenia’s antics. I didn’t love this novel but I liked it better than The Blind Assassin, which I really didn’t like. Here’s my current list of her novels I’ve read:

The Edible Woman
Surfacing
Lady Oracle
Life Before Man
Bodily Harm
The Handmaid's Tale ✅
Cat's Eye ✅
The Robber Bride ✅
Alias Grace
The Blind Assassin ✅
Oryx and Crake ✅
The Penelopiad ✅
The Year of the Flood ✅
MaddAddam ✅
The Heart Goes Last
Hag-Seed
The Testaments ✅

How many Atwood novels have you read?

Also, after a bit of research, I learned that a film adaptation of The Robber Bride, starring Mary-Louise Parker as Zenia, aired on the Oxygen network in 2007…so now I am on the hunt to find this and watch it!
Share:

1 comment

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig