Thursday, September 12, 2019

Arrowood by Laura McHugh




"Arrowood is the most ornate and grand of the historical houses that line the Mississippi River in southern Iowa. But the house has a mystery it has never revealed: It’s where Arden Arrowood’s younger twin sisters vanished on her watch twenty years ago—never to be seen again."⁠

I loved Laura McHugh's 2014 debut novel The Weight of Blood and The Wolf Wants In was one of my most anxiously anticipated releases of 2019, but somehow I missed her 2016 release Arrowood! I stayed up late reading this novel (which is something I NEVER do...I need sleep!) because it was soooo good. Set in Keokuk, IA (very near where I grew up) Arden Arrowood has returned to her childhood home during a particularly rough time (her father has died, she can't seem to finish her master's thesis, and she recently had a very misguided love affair). She has inherited the Arrowood family home and must now face her muddled memories and family secrets.⁠

As if I wasn't a big enough fan of McHugh's detailed Midwest/rural noir writing, this novel added a fabulous gothic element. I think it's safe to say she is now an "auto-buy" author for me. Who are your "auto-buy" authors?⁠
Share:

No comments

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig