Wednesday, July 17, 2019

The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay


A backlist book I finally got around to reading🙌(Flip flopping back and forth between my ARCs and my backlist books is currently making me a much happier reader.) I pushed The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay up on my list after reading If You Want to Make God Laugh because of the similarities I knew it had with poverty, privilege, orphans, and ravaging sexually transmitted diseases.⁠

In 1871, in the slums of New York City a 12-year-old girl named Moth has been abandoned by her father and sold as a servant to a wealthy woman by her mother. After fleeing the woman's abuse Moth winds up at a brothel known as "The Infant School" where gentlemen pay high prices for young virgins and the madam protects her girls from diseased men looking for "the virgin cure".⁠

I liked this book and would recommend it to lovers of The Life She Was Given and The Crimson Petal and the White. The book is also interspersed with side notes from one of the characters, a female doctor. Her notes give statistics and background to happenings in the book such as why girls wore green or what a particular product was lauded as doing at the time (medicines, hair tonics, etc.). These notes really strengthened the storyline, characters, and settings.⁠

Also pictured: One of my fave spots to read (in the corner of my sectional), one of my fave soft blankets, and coffee in my fave mug.
Share:

No comments

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig