Wednesday, October 31, 2018

October 2018 Wrap-Up


Wow! October was a weird one. I had a huge stack of books I planned to read but I ended up only reading 4...okay 3 and a half.

The Readalongs: Rachael (@anovelfamily on Instagram) and I hosted 2 readalongs: Dracula at the beginning of the month and The Historian for the 2nd half. Thank goodness we were partnered on this because I was traveling to visit family during the beginning of the month and I was having a hard time getting my reading time in for Dracula. Then when I got home I got a cold that threw me even more off schedule. I kept at it as long as I could and made it about 1/2 way through but then I gave up. I wasn't loving it (even though I read it years ago and thought I did). She definitely carried the weight with the discussions on that one! Thanks Rachael! When we got rolling with The Historian (which I've also read before and KNEW I loved) she found that she didn't like it. It made for a perfect tradeoff. I liked talking to other readers during the readalongs and I learned a lot that I will take into account when I host my next readalong. Mainly, more planning ahead and reading ahead! 

The other 2 books I read were Who Cooked Adam Smith's Dinner by Katrine Marçal (which I have already reviewed) and Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield (which I will be reviewing in the next few days). 

Now I'm off to put together my November reading list. What was your favorite read last month? What are you most excited to read in November. 


Share:

4 comments

Carmen said...

It was a perfect partnership as you didn't enjoy one and she didn't the other. It's great that you completed both readalongs and discussions despite the interference of everyday events.
I'll be reading Setterfield's book in December. I'm keen to know your thoughts on it. I'm reading The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell--a gothic-esque novel--and I'll be reading Season of Storms by favorite author Susanna Kearsley next.

Rhiannon said...

Carmen, it worked out perfectly for us. I'll be posting my Setterfield review in the next few days, but short answer--LOVED it! I've had The Silent Companions on my longlist for a while...someday I'll get to it. I'm interested to know your thoughts on it.

Judy Krueger said...

I also look forward to the Setterfield novel, as well as The Lost Queen by Signe Pike and Clock Dance by Anne Tyler.

Rhiannon said...

It sounds like you've got some good ones coming soon, Judy! I have The Lost Queen on my TBR but who knows when I'll ever get to it!

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig