Sunday, July 16, 2023

DNF Roundup

 


The Glow by Jessie Gaynor
I was originally interested in this because I thought it would have creepy wellness retreat vibes like Caite Dolan-Leach's "Dark Circles" or Stephanie Wrobel's "This Might Hurt" but instead it was just a parade of awkward and embarrassing situations. I believe that Gen Z or millennial readers may identify with this protagonist. 

The Exhibitionist by Charlotte Mendelson
The summary for this novel had absolutely everything I usually love in a great generational saga but I barely made it past the first few pages. The writing was so difficult and clunky. I popped over to Goodreads to check the rating and saw it was only a 3.09 and that one of my fellow bookstagram buddies/reviewers who I usually am on par with for opinions only gave it a one star, so I decided not to continue with it. 

Let Us Sleep Now by Jesse Muchmore 
I recently read and liked The Rule of One, and my only "complaint" was that it was YA. I thought this would be a perfect follow-up since it has almost the same storyline and is adult fiction, but there were way too many characters being introduced and not enough of the "one child policy" and "alternate future" to keep me invested.  

Self Made: Creating Our Identities from Da Vinci to the Kardashians by Tara Isabella Burton
It was the subtitle that did it. I thought this would be more about the creation of digital identities and influencers but it is much more about the philosophy of self. This looked to contain a lot of research and read like a dissertation or college essay, but I was looking for something more like "Swipe Up for More!" 


Share:

No comments

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig