Sunday, July 2, 2023

Carmilla

 



Title: Carmilla
Author: Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
Publisher: my copy: Kessinger Publishing's Rare Reprints
Release Date1.1.1872

Publisher’s Summary 

In an isolated castle deep in the Austrian forest, Laura leads a solitary life with only her ailing father for company. Until one moonlit night, a horse-drawn carriage crashes into view, carrying an unexpected guest – the beautiful Carmilla. So begins a feverish friendship between Laura and her mysterious, entrancing companion. 

But as Carmilla becomes increasingly strange and volatile, prone to eerie nocturnal wanderings, Laura finds herself tormented by nightmares and growing weaker by the day.

My Review
I first heard of Carmilla a few years ago when I was studying Bram Stoker's Dracula. I did a bit of research and thought the story sounded fascinating. Especially after learning that Anne Rice credits Carmilla for inspiring her The Vampire Chronicles series in a 1989 interview and that the story predates  Dracula (1897) by 26 years! I finally tracked down a copy of this horror novella and absolutely devoured it. The settings were absolute Gothic perfection and the mounting tension is sublime. I was spellbound for its entirety. A "must read" for any gothic and/or vampire fiction lover. 
Share:

No comments

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig