Tuesday, June 14, 2022

✨3 Mini Reviews✨


How High We Go in the Dark by Sequoia NagamatsuI added this release to my TBR almost two years ago and it had multiple changes to its release date, but I finally got around to reading it about 3 weeks ago. The description of "Cloud Atlas meets Station Eleven" is apt and I would definitely label this book as "unique" but I was not expecting so much death. Lots and lots of death. For more detailed insight into this release, I recommend checking out Abigail and Torie @ataleoftwolitties and Aoife @littlecassreads recent reviews of this one.

The Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan
I wanted to get my hands on an ARC of this at the 2017 Book Expo and just could not score a copy. Then, when I finally got myself a copy, like so many other books, this one got relegated to the bookshelf to be read "soon". Ha! Well 2 weeks ago this one called to me and I finally got around to it...and then promptly ordered the next 3 books. I especially loved the feel of this book. The pliability of the paperback and the deckled edges were well suited to the atmosphere of the story. 

The Secret History by Donna Tartt
This is one of those books that is constantly referenced when a book falls in the realm of dark academia so I'm glad I now have that point of reference. Knowing how much Deb @lonestarwords loves it, I had high hopes but I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. I found the constant drinking, drugging, and changing of settings messy and drawn out. Also, the chapters are LONG. The entire 500+ page book has a total of 8 chapters. Those complaints aside, Tartt is a tremendously talented writer and I absolutely do not regret reading this. 


Share:

No comments

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig